Why teach Romanian online via LanguaTalk?
Many websites take advantage of online tutors, with commission rates sometimes over 25%, as well as unfair policies, such as allowing students to cancel on the day of their lesson.
Part of our mission is to improve the working conditions of tutors around the world. We protect tutors with a 24 hour cancellation policy. Instead of having 60-minute lessons, students can book 55-minute lessons. This allows tutors to grab a quick break if they have one lessons after the other.
Commission is capped at 16%. Our aim is to reduce this to 15% or lower once we become less dependent on online advertising (a big cost for a self-funded startup).
Maximise your income
If you teach Romanian online via LanguaTalk, you'll have the freedom to decide how much to charge students. Many tutors increase their rate gradually over time as they gain students and positive reviews. We limit the number of tutors on our platform to:
1) give each new tutor a fair chance at receiving bookings
2) ensure high teaching standards
3) avoid a race-to-the-bottom on prices
Enjoy a flexible lifestyle
- Work from anywhere - you can teach Romanian online anywhere that has a good internet connection.
- Work at times that suit you. Adjust your availability any time using our simple software.
Make a meaningful impact
Teaching Romanian 1-on-1, you’ll be able to provide a tailored learning experience that delivers results. Results that could change your students' lives.
"I really like the ease and clarity of LanguaTalk. Everything is straightforward, nothing hidden, and as a teacher I feel heard and protected. I also really like how easy it is to get in touch with their team when I have questions. They are so supportive." - Renée, one of our talented teachers
Frequently Asked Questions
Below you can see answers to questions commonly asked by tutors.
What are the requirements for applying to teach Romanian online via LanguaTalk?
- To be considered for teaching Romanian on our platform, Romanian must be your native language. However, if you have a C2 level and a particularly strong application, we may make an exception (a C2 level means you know the language as well as a native, and you may need proof of this.)
- You'll need some experience teaching a language. If you have experience teaching Romanian online, you'll have a higher chance of being accepted. We do not require qualifications, but they will increase your chances of being accepted.
- You must be able to speak English, at least at B1 level (lower intermediate).
- To teach Romanian online, you need a reliable internet connection, a microphone, and a webcam. Note that newer computers often have built-in microphones and webcams. Your internet connection must have a download/upload speed of at least 2Mbps. You can test it here.
- You must be 18 or over.
- Due to payment regulations, you'll need a bank account in the country you live in, and we can only send payments to the following countries:
- United States, Canada, Mexico, Argentina, Colombia, Peru, Chile, Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, Bolivia, Paraguay, Uruguay, Trinidad & Tobago
- Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom
Asia Pacific, Middle East & other regions:
- Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, India, Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia, Israel, Egypt
What is the application process?
1) Submit your application. Among other things, we'll ask you about your experience and availability, as well as how you teach.
2) If we're currently recruiting for your language and like your application, we'll welcome you and help you get set up to start teaching! We may ask you to submit a profile video before accepting your application (all tutors need one for their profile).
If you don't hear back within 7 days, it may be because we haven't yet reviewed your application due to not being able to add more tutors for the language you teach until the following month (as we have to match supply & demand).
How are lessons taught?
You'll teach online using Skype or Zoom. Students will have the option to select their preferred video tool, but you can also specify on your profile that you only work with one tool. Both Skype & Zoom allows tutors to provide a customised, interactive learning experience that's similar to learning face-to-face.
How long are the lessons?
55 minutes. This allows you to take a 5 minute break if you have back-to-back lessons. Trial sessions last 30 minutes.
What is the rescheduling & cancellation policy?
Students can reschedule or cancel lessons up to 24 hours before the start time. We have this policy to protect tutors from being messed around. Tutors do sometimes allow their students to cancel/reschedule less than 24 hours before, for example if a student has not requested a last minute change before or has a true emergency.
How will I gain students?
Students who like your profile may book a 30-minute trial session with you. This gives them an opportunity to get to know you and how you teach Romanian. After the trial, they'll have the option of purchasing between 1 and 20 lesson credits.
When a student joins LanguaTalk, they'll be able to take one trial session for free. If a student has already taken a trial session with another tutor, then to take one with you they'll usually have to pay 30% of your 55-minute lesson rate. We recommend you offer free trial sessions for students who are new to LanguaTalk, however you can opt to charge 30% of your standard lesson price if you select this option on your profile.
How much can I expect to earn teaching Romanian online via LanguaTalk?
Potential earnings depend on many factors, such as how well you attract and retain students, as well as your availability. You set your rate per lesson, so if you're an talented tutor in high demand, you could earn a high hourly rate. You can check the prices of other tutors on LanguaTalk to get an idea of how much you could charge, given your experience level. Teaching online is highly competitive so you may need to be patient and increase your rate gradually over time as you build your reputation and reviews.
What commission rate is charged and what does it go towards?
One reason we started LanguaTalk is to help tutors earn a living and not have to rely on websites that charge extremely high commission rates. Our commission is capped at 16% of the price of each lesson. Our aim is to be able to reduce this to 15% once we become less dependent on advertising. Advertising online is costly, for example when someone clicks on our website from Google, we pay up to $4 per click. The commission also goes towards running and improving our technology, marketing, and providing support to students and tutors.
How & when will I receive payments?
Payment will be sent automatically to your bank account once per month - we take care of this, so you won't need to do anything. The payment will usually be sent on the 4th of each month and will cover lessons given during the previous month. Note that it will usually takes between 1 and 3 days (excluding weekends) for the payment to reach you (this depends on the banks and where you live in the world).
What taxes will I need to pay?
As with other online platforms, if you teach Romanian online via LanguaTalk, you'll do so as an independent freelancer. Given tutors on our site are all over the world, we cannot advise on their responsibilities regarding taxes and accounting. You should be aware that as a freelancer your country will usually expect you to report your income and pay taxes associated with self-employment.
What expectations are placed upon tutors & how can I maximise my teaching hours?
After each lesson, students are encouraged to leave a rating/review. As you gather more positive reviews, your profile will become more popular with students. You'll also find it easier to raise your price per lesson.
To achieve positive reviews and retain students, you'll need to adapt to your students’ needs, using different methods to make lessons as fun and effective as possible.
Tutors with positive feedback from students, as well as sufficient availability, will be more likely to be placed near the top of the tutor listings page. Tutors near the top of the listings page tend to receive more bookings.
We also expect tutors to stay organised. This includes:
- Updating your availability calendar regularly so that students can book lessons without issues.
- Responding to messages from your students within a reasonable time period (preferably checking at least twice a day on weekdays.)
- Turning up to your lessons on time. Students won’t be happy if you’re 5 minutes late.