Use the chart, examples, and video below to learn how to conjugate estar in the present tense.
Estar: Present Tense Conjugation Chart
Want to learn Spanish faster? See videos and reviews of our talented tutors.
Examples: how to conjugate estar in present tense
Here are some examples of conjugating estar in present form:
Estoy cansado de tus mentiras.
I am tired of your lies.
No estás preparado para la escuela.
You're not ready for school.
Estamos muy orgullosos de ti.
We are so proud of you.
- Estar is an irregular verb, but not as irregular as some others.
- Don’t worry if you cannot memorise all the conjugations. Through speaking and listening on a regular basis, you’ll learn to conjugate verbs correctly most of the time even if you don't remember the rules and exceptions off by heart.
- If you want help with grammar, or you just want to become fluent in Spanish, you may want to take personalised 1-on-1 lessons. At LanguaTalk, we make an effort to find the very best online tutors, and many of them offer lower rates than you’d find in your local area. Check tutors’ reviews and videos HERE, and consider booking a free trial session (no card required).
Here's a reminder of what the Spanish personal pronouns mean:
- yo = I
- tú = you (informal)
- él/ella = he/she
- nosotros/nosotras = we
- vosotros/vosotras = you (plural, informal, Spain only)
- ellos/ellas = they
- Usted = you (singular formal) & ustedes = you (plural formal). These are used much more in Latin America than in Spain - the latter being more informal.
How to conjugate estar in the present tense - recommended video:
(note the translations provided in the video above are in both French and English)
Learn Spanish fast with 1-on-1 lessons tailored to your needs. View tutors' videos and book a free trial session here.