Use the chart, examples, and video below to learn how to conjugate être in the present tense.
Être: Present Tense Conjugation Chart
Want to learn French faster? See videos and reviews of our talented tutors.
Examples: how to conjugate être in present tense
Here are some examples of conjugating être in present form:
Reste où tu es un moment.
Stay where you are for a moment.
Parallèlement, nous sommes également en contact avec les Américains.
At the same time, we are also in touch with the Americans.
Je préférerais dire qu'ils sont corrélés.
I would prefer to say that they are correlated.
- Être is an irregular verb.
- Don’t worry about memorising all the conjugations perfectly. Through speaking and listening on a regular basis, you’ll develop an intuitive feel for the rules and exceptions when conjugating verbs.
- If you want help with grammar, or you just want to become fluent in French, you may want to take personalised 1-on-1 lessons. At LanguaTalk, we make an effort to find the very best online tutors, and many of them offer lower rates than you’d find in your area. You can check tutors’ reviews and videos, and consider booking a free trial session (no card required).
Reminder of what the French personal pronouns mean:
- je = I
- tu = you (singular informal)
- il/elle = he/she
- on = we (formal)
- nous = we (informal)
- vous= you (singular formal OR plural (both formal and informal))
- ils/elles = they
How to conjugate être in the present tense - recommended video:
Learn French fast with 1-on-1 lessons tailored to your needs. View tutors' videos and book a free trial session here.