Ser Imperfect Conjugation
Use the chart, examples, and video below to learn how to conjugate ser in the imperfect (known as the imperfecto, or pretérito imperfecto).
Ser: Imperfect Tense Conjugation Chart
Want to learn Spanish faster? See videos and reviews of our talented tutors.
Examples: how to conjugate ser in imperfect tense
Here are some examples of conjugating ser in imperfect form:
Cuando era niño, era siempre así.
When I was a kid, it was always like this.
Te encantaba cuando eras un muchacho.
You used to love that when you were a young lad.
Mi madre murió cuando éramos niñas.
My mother died when we were girls.
- Ser is an irregular verb, making it trickier to learn.
- Don’t worry about memorising all the conjugations perfectly. Through speaking and listening on a regular basis, you’ll become able to conjugate verbs correctly most of the time even if you don't remember the rules and exceptions off by heart.
- If you want help with grammar, or you just want to become fluent in Spanish, you may want to take personalised 1-on-1 lessons. At LanguaTalk, we make an effort to find the very best online tutors, and many of them offer lower rates than you’d find in your local area. Check tutors’ reviews and videos HERE, and consider booking a free trial session (no card required).
Here's a reminder of what the Spanish personal pronouns mean:
- yo = I
- tú = you (informal)
- él/ella = he/she
- nosotros/nosotras = we
- vosotros/vosotras = you (plural, informal, Spain only)
- ellos/ellas = they
- Usted = you (singular formal) & ustedes = you (plural formal). These are used much more in Latin America than in Spain - the latter being more informal.
How to conjugate ser in the imperfect tense - recommended video:
Learn Spanish fast with 1-on-1 lessons tailored to your needs. View tutors' videos and book a free trial session here.
See how to conjugate ser in other tenses:
Conjugate ser in the preterite